Located on the scenic campus of the Savitribai Phule Pune University, The Department of Mathematics and Statistics was established in 1953. The Department was initially situated in the main building of the University. Prof. V. S. Huzurbazar was the first head of the Department. In 1962, the Department was shifted to its new elegant building later named as `Wrangler Paranjapye Ganit ani Sankhyashastra Bhavan'. The Department of Statistics was separated in 1976.
Savitribai Phule Pune University has been among the top universities of the country constantly for a long period of time. The Department has always been a centre of excellent academic achievements and it has not gone unnoticed by the various bodies of the Government and other university rating agencies as well. It has been receiving the UGC Special Assistance Grant since 1972. It was recognized as the Centre for Advanced Studies by UGC in 1998. It is the first and only Centre for Advanced Studies in Statistics in India. UGC has extended this recognition for the third phase from 2012. The pharmaceutical giant PFIZER has given an endowment to the Department to provide scholarships for M.Sc. students on the basis of their academic performance. The DST-FIST has also sponsored the Department for up-to-date computing facilities to the students and the faculty.
The University of Poona started teaching the M.Sc. (Statistics) course in the session 1953-54, after the appointment of Professor V. S. Huzurbazar as Professor of Mathematics and Statistics. Professor Huzurbazar came to the University of Poona with high reputation. He had a Ph.D. degree from Cambridge University under the guidance of Professor H. Jeffreys, F. R. S. He had taught in the University of Gauhati and Lucknow before joining Pune. The Department was initially situated in the Main building of the University, the erstwhile Governor's residence of Bombay presidency. Soon, it was moved to a quadrangle which originally was the kitchen and the cooks' residence attached to the Government House along with the Physics, Geography and other Departments. The Department consisted of Professor Huzurbazar, a clerk and a peon. The peon also looked after the laboratory consisting of hand operated Brunswing / Facit machines. However, the Department was fortunate to have visiting teachers of the caliber of Professor V. M. Dandekar, Professor A. R. Kamat and others from sister institute in Pune. Soon more permanent appointments were made. V. P. Bhapkar and S. R. Adke were the first to join after passing their M.Sc. (statistics) degree from Bombay, in 1953 and 1955 respectively.
The Department has been an alma mater to distinguished Statisticians such as K. Joag-Dev, G. P. Patil, S. Sukhatme (Chivate), B. Chandorkar, Janardan Deshpande, S. W. Dharmadhikari, K. S. R. Rao and J. V. Tatke. The Department has also been graced by visits from eminent Statisticians and other scientists like R. A. Fisher, J. Neyman, Harold and Bertha Jeffreys, Frank Yates, S. N. Roy, C. R. Rao, P. V. Sukhatme, C. V. Raman, Jayant Narlikar, D. R. Cox, V. P. Godambe, D. V. Gokhale, A. M. Kshirsagar, K. B. Athreya, Abhay Bang, Madhav Gadgil and others. Alumni of this Department have been performing well, both in the academic field and industry, with their work being noticed and accredited all over the world. The success can be attributed to the rigorous and in-depth curriculum which gets updated to keep in pace with the latest developments in the field.
More details about the Department can be found at the Department homepage